Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dr. Grey to the ER - STAT!

As of July 20th, I have watched 73 episodes of Grey's Anatomy since July 5th.  Seriously...73 episodes....73 hours of Grey's Anatomy. My friend Lisa is looking into rehab facilities for me, I'm sure. But I'm getting ahead of myself.


I just started watching Grey's Anatomy this past season, mostly out of boredom.  I was home one Thursday night, which is unusual because I'm usually at the kingdom hall on Thursday nights. Since I'm never home on Thursday night, I had no idea what normally comes on TV. As I flipped the channels, I came across Grey's and I decided to give it a chance.

My first two episodes were episodes 6.01 and 6.02,  "Good Mourning" and "Goodbye". They aired on September 24, 2010 and were from all accounts two of the saddest episodes in Grey's Anatomy history. At least that was what I was told by longtime Grey's fans after I watched the episodes.  "Good Mourning" marks the last episode with Dr. George O'Malley who is hit by a bus trying to save a woman's life.  The entire episode revolves around everyone at Seattle Grace trying to save the John Doe hero who pushed a woman out of the way of a bus.  At the end of the episode when an unrecognizable O'Malley writes 007 in Meredith's hand, everyone realizes that John Doe is George. 

"Goodbye" opens with George dying and everyone dealing with the loss in their own ways and you see exactly what George meant to each person in the hospital. It was heart-wrenching and intriguing at the same time. I was hooked. I watched the remainder of the season and was completely sucked in...

Recently, I went on vacation with a couple of friends and we were sitting in the hotel on a Thursday night and I asked them to turn the TV to ABC on the off chance that Grey's Anatomy was on.  The aforementioned Lisa declared me officially addicted. Grey's was not on and what was worse, Lifetime moved the reruns to a time during the workday.  What was I going to do?

You know, I never go to Suncoast Video. I tend to buy DVDS at Blockbuster and Target. But one day, I wandered into Suncoast and the sales person told me that they were having a one-day sale on used DVDS; buy two, get one free. I instantly looked for Star Trek Voyager because I have been wanted to get that set for a long time. But they didn't have any used copies. My second choice was Grey's Anatomy and they had a used copy of each season. I bought seasons 1 - 5 on the spot.

So began the 15 day stint... I've watched 73 episodes, which puts me at episode 4.13. I still have half of season 4 and all of season 5 to watch.  I've seen season 6, but the DVD will be released on September 14, 2010.

As you can imagine, watching 73 hours of Grey's Anatomy has affected me. I find myself using the word "seriously" a lot more now in conversation. In tough situations, I can't helping thinking WWBD, "what would Bailey do?".  It's crazy... but I love this show... I SERIOUSLY love this show.