Monday, April 27, 2015

Crossfit, The Whole 30 & Fitbit Challenges

CrossFit

It's been a month since I started doing Crossfit and Crossfit Cove, I got hooked when my friend Noelle invited me to a class at her box.  I instantly loved it and I could see how Crossfit could take me to the next level with my exercise goals. I was looking for a change and Crossfit was the answer.

In the past month, I have seen my strength and endurance improve. I have even started doing things that I never felt possible. I'm close to a pull-up, I got on the ropes and lifted myself up one level and I have even done a handstand push-up. 

The Whole 30
The Whole 30 is a clean eating challenge that the folks at my Crossfit box are all doing. We're eliminating processed foods, including sugar, grains, and dairy. As a vegetarian and a person with nut and seed allergies, this is going to be a challenge. In terms of soy products, I am limiting them to organic extra firm tofu. Fake meats tend to have added sugars. So I'll have to be creative. I bought The Whole 30 book and thankfully there is a section for vegetarians. So I am getting proteins. 

The Fit Bit Challenge 
So I've had my Fitbit for 8 months and for a while, FitBit challenges motivated me to move more. Although the FitBit challenges are meant to build friendly competition and serve as a motivator, lately I have found them burdensome, mostly because I'm getting more of my activity in non-step focused ways. So I'll workout at Crossfit for an hour, but not get a lot of steps. So right now, I'm trying to find the right balance. I still love my FitBit and I'm trying to get 10,000 steps a day. But I have to discerning and balanced. 

So what's next? I have a Spartan race to train for in July. I have 10lbs to lose because I lived like a teenager for about three weeks. I have races to register for fairly soon and I still have the Crossfit goals that I wrote on the whiteboard.