Monday, February 25, 2008

A Raisin in the Sun

A Raisin in the Sun has got to be one of my all time favorite books. I read it in the eleventh grade and immediately loved it. Then I saw the Sidney Poiter movie and fell in love with the story. How can you not love Sidney Poiter? He is a genius to put it plainly. He brings dignity to every role.

Tonight, ABC showed the 2008 remake staring Sean Combs, Audra McDonald and Phylicia Rashad. I wanted to see them perform this on broadway a couple of years ago. Now I know why the play received so many Tony nominations. This remake was as good and as moving as the Sidney Poiter version. Who would've thought that Sean Combs could've done such a good job. He was able to take Walter Lee to a place I don't remember Sidney Poiter going. It was a powerful performance.

I hope you saw it.