Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sunday 7.08.07

Coming Home...


I planned for this trip for months and although we had been to some extraordinary places, I was ready to go home. Don't get me wrong, I love to travel. but there's nothing like your own bed and your own bath.

That morning we loaded up in the van and headed off to the airport. When we got there, Celeste made sure we made it to the right counter. When it was time for us to leave, it was surprisingly very emotional. She wasn't coming with us and for each of us, it was like leaving our mom at the airport. It was difficult for all of us.

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful, except for the fact that the flight attendent in Canada took a special liking to Marie, Sara, and me because we wanted to know when she was coming by for the last time for trash. She was mildly amused by us and we by her. By this time, we were are all a little punchy and extremely anxious to get home. There were laughs had by all.

Reflections...

I learned a lot about myself and other people on this trip. I learned that as open-minded as I try to be while traveling, I learned that even among new surroundings, I still need structure. I'm someone who needs order in my life and I think that one of the more difficult things about traveling in a group is that I can't be in control of every situation. I'm not saying that I'm a control freak, but giving up complete control is something that I'm not completely comfortable with yet.

The other thing that I learned and you may be surprised to read this, is that I'm 34 years old. This is significant because for the first time, I was the second oldest student on the trip. There were a lot of students who were between 19-25. I felt completely out of place among them. One of the things that I hadn't been prepared for was the fact that the things that people find fun in that age group don't appeal to me anymore. The thing is that it doesn't even bother me.

The last and most important thing that I learned is that I would love to visit Italy again and even other places in Europe as well. Of course, I think that I would go any plan my own itinerary. Italy was gorgeous and there was so much we didn't get to see. I've always said that I if I ever got married, I would like to honeymoon in Mexico. But now, after being in Italy, I think that Europe is running a close second.

All in all, I'm glad that I went on the trip. There were days that made me wish I hadn't left Columbia, but I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.