Saturday, November 17, 2007

A decision

I made a decision. I really want to take a photojournalism class, but I've decided not to take it because I would have to drive to College Park every wednesday during the spring semester. Instead, I've found two seemingly easy courses that I can take instead.

I've been so stressed, as you've probably noticed. The spector of graduation has been looming over me for a while. Everyone is telling me that I can do it, but no one has practical suggestions. "Just hang in there" is the least helpful thing to hear sometimes.

But this afternoon it came to me: work smarter not harder. If I have to take five classes, I need to find the easiet classes possible. I already know that my social science is going to involve alot of reading, so I'm going to push that one off until the end. But in the mean time, I don't need to make this hard on myself.

So I've narrowed it down to three classes. I have to take the last one for sure. They're all online.


CMST 340 Computer Applications in Management (3)
Prerequisite: CMIS 102, CMIS 102A, CMST 103, or IFSM 201. An overview of computer-based information-system concepts and operations and how these capabilities are applied by management to improve the work processes of business, government, and academic organizations. Topics include management planning at the strategic, tactical, and operational levels necessary to effect continuous improvements. The interchange of electronic information and the application of various computing tools such as spreadsheet programs are introduced. Students may receive credit for only one of the following courses: CAPP 340, CMIS 350, or CMST 340.

CMST 311 Advanced Electronic Publishing (3)
Prerequisite: CMST 310. A project-oriented study of the advanced concepts and methods of electonic (desktop) publishing. Emphasis in on effective transfer of electronic files to service bureaus and printers. Features essential to multimedia presentations are integrated with techniques for capturing and editing photos to produce business publications. Students learn to publish printed documents on a Web site. Students may receive credit for only one of the following courses: CAPP 311 or CMST 311.


CMIS 102 Introduction to Problem Solving and Algorithm Design (3)
A study of techniques for finding solutions to problems through structured programming and step-wise refinement. Topics include principles of programming, the logic of constructing a computer program, and the practical aspects of integrating program modules into a cohesive whole. Algorithms are used to demonstrate programming as an approach to problem solving, and basic features of a modern object-oriented language are illustrated. Students may receive credit for only one of the following courses: CMIS 102, CMIS 102A, or CMSC 101.