Sunday, July 24, 2005

Last day in Philly

So, if you're ever in University City in Philadelphia and just happen to be staying at the Sheraton University City, you'll be able to get around on the metro. Now, when you come out of the Sheraton University City Hotel, go across the street going towards Walnut Street. There is a SEPTA subway entrance on the corner next to the student art museum.

Now, while my brother, sister and I were out on the hunt for the subway, we stumbled onto the Drexel University campus. That subway entrance takes you to the green line, which has trolleys. I'd never taken a trolley before and wasn't sure what to expect. A trolley is a cross between a bus and a subway car. A strange site at first, but we got used to it.

We needed to get to the Liacouras Center which was clear across town, by Temple University. We found a map telling us that we could take the trolley to 15th Street, otherwise known as City Hall... I wish they had just said that. We arrive at City Hall, knowing that we have to transfer to the orange line, also known as the Broad Street Line, but do we go north or south?

I started thinking that we would've been better off driving. But I had to put on my game face and let the troops think that all was going well. My siblings haven't been in the city that often and didn't know what to expect. Their suburban snobiness was beginning to emerge, although they weren't as bad as they could've been. I think they were mostly grossed out.

We found a subway officer and he told us to take the local train northbound to Cecil B. Moore. We finally made it to Cecil B. Moore and emerged from the underground chasm, grateful for the humid, but fresh air.


We took the subway two days and it really did make travelling between the Liacouras Center and the hotel go fast. Then next time I go back to Philadelphia, I'd like to explore the city via subway a little more.