Thursday, August 10, 2006

Conflict

con·flict (knflkt)
n.

  • A state of open, often prolonged fighting; a battle or war.
  • A state of disharmony between incompatible or antithetical persons, ideas, or interests; a clash
  • Psychology. A psychic struggle, often unconscious, resulting from the opposition or simultaneous functioning of mutually exclusive impulses, desires, or tendencies.
    Opposition between characters or forces in a work of drama or fiction, especially opposition that motivates or shapes the action of the plot.

intr.v. con·flict·ed, con·flict·ing, con·flicts (kn-flkt)

  • To be in or come into opposition; differ.
  • Archaic. To engage in warfare.

The apostle Paul spoke of man's internal conflict, the spirit vs. the flesh at
(ROMANS 7:21-23) 21 I find, then, this law in my case: that when I wish to do what is right, what is bad is present with me. 22 I really delight in the law of God according to the man I am within, 23 but I behold in my members another law warring against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin’s law that is in my members.

We all go through this at some point in our lives. I'm going through it right now.