Sunday, August 13, 2006

Images in my brain

I'm starting to wonder about my dreams. They are odd, containing people with whom I hardly ever think about or interact. They are all people in my waking life, but not prominent figures in that life. What does this mean?

I have no idea.

I've often wondered why we are so obsessed with our dreams and their meaning in our lives. For instance, if I dream that I'm rolling in a pile of $1 bills, does that mean that money is coming my way or does it mean that I am a greedy person who is only concerned with making money my sole source of happiness?

Why is it so hard? Maybe it's because we don't know from where our dreams come. They are quite random and emerge from the inner crevices of the psyche. Some people claim that our dreams are just manifestations of our inner most desires and fears and that somehow our brains find symbolic ways to translate those desires and fears into images that seem familiar to us.

So... if that's true, how come I can fly in my dreams? or how come I can fall off a cliff, but not go splat on the ground? How come I can do things that border on being wrong, but not actually cross that line? Why do I dream that people, who love me in the waking world, begin to violently hate me? Or better yet, why can I fix things, problems, in my dreams...problems that I am powerless to even approach in my waking life?

Dreams are weird...things...who can really understand?

Besides, Joseph and Daniel, that is....