Monday, June 27, 2005

Nothing's changed

So much for never makin' the same mistake.
I can't believe I'm here again.
So much for ever thinkin' that I could change
My good intentions still remain in chains.

She's Gotta Be
by Keith Urban.
Written by Monty Powell and Keith Urban.
© Coburn Music Inc /Guitar Monkey Music
From "Be Here", © 2004, Capitol.

Sometimes I go to the weight room and work out on the treadmill. It's a good workout, but the treadmill tells you a story that isn't true. See for me, after about 33 minutes, if I'm walking 3 mph, the treadmill tells me that I've walked 2 miles when in fact I haven't left the building. Now, truth be told, I have done the work required to walk 2 miles, but I'm still in the same place where I started.

In life, people can be just like that treadmill. They put you through the motions of thinking you're making progress only for you to discover that you're right back where you started. Despite your good intentions you never left the room.