Saturday, August 06, 2005

60 years later. Have we learned anything?

Today is the 60th of the bombing of Hiroshima, Japan marking the beginning of the end of War World I. I read an article on MSN.com http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8770432/site/newsweek/ today about a reporter who visited Hiroshima today. He writes:


I didn't know quite what to expect when I stepped off the train at Hiroshima. Certainly not the spacious shopping arcade at the station, with its advertisments for cappuccinos and beer. Nor the sight, soon after my taxi turned a corner, of the Groovin' Disc Shop, selling new and used CDs. Maybe the profusion of blond heads towering above the Japanese throngs on the platform should have alerted me. History ensures that Hiroshima belongs not just to Japan but to the world.


The rest of the article goes on to tell of the remnants, though faint, that remain as a result of that deadly day six decades ago. I read the article, fully expecting that he would mention the memorials services and commemorative landmarks throughout the city.


It was a brilliantly clear day, and I walked from the center of town, bustling with shops and hotels, through the Peace Memorial Park. It sits directly at ground zero, immaculately groomed as only Japanese gardeners seem to know how, with monuments scattered here and there to the 230,000 victims of the A-bomb. One ruined building—the Atomic Bomb Dome—stands as it did on Aug. 6, 1945, a stark reminder of that summer's day when clocks stopped at 8:15 a.m. and most of the city was obliterated.


In 36 days, we will commemorate the fourth anniversity of our county's day of infamy, September 11, 2001. It is oddly awkward to read about ground zero and not think of Lower Manhattan. It's strange to think that that phrase, ground zero, did exist before that day. But what's even more unnerving is knowing that our country was responsible for Hiroshima even having a ground zero. Instead of 3000 victims, Hiroshima had 230,000 victims. To put that in perspective the county that I live in has approximately 265,000 residents. Imagine if 85% of those residents were killed or injured, by means of one military act. It blows my mind.

Reading about this day and reflecting on the brevity of life makes me want to make sure that every moment is spent with a purpose. I want to use my life for good and use my time helping people. So many of us let our lives become consumed with the mundane cares of life and never stop to consider our neighbor and what we could do to make their existence better. It starts with a friendly, "Good Morning" or "How are you?" and actually taking the time to listen, to care. These greetings have become so common place that we say them by rout like mindless automatons with no real interest in the answer.

But no more. I care and I want you to care too. Today, tomorrow and the next day, say, "Hi, how are you?" to someone and really listen to what they have to say. When you take time to give your time and attention to someone else, the rewards come back ten-fold.