Tuesday, March 21, 2006

You will not believe this

Yesterday (Monday), I got an email from a user asking me to "help" her delete some images from a webpage. "Help" generally means, "do it for me" and I was in no mood to do such a simple task for her. I sat through 3 interviews that day and had to spend about an hour in discussions about the candidates. Oh yeah, I had a migraine too.

So I sent her instructions on deleting the images and thought to myself, "that'll teach you to ask me to update your page". So she emailed me today saying, "thanks for the help. I was able to get it done. But can you help me with something else." Now the second thing was a problem that she really couldn't fix. So I fixed and emailed her back. Then she emails me again or maybe she called me and said that she was still confused.

Now here's the funny part. She uploaded a Microsoft Word document to her website and needed to create a link to it on a particular page. So I told her to rename her document so that there were no spaces in the name. I had to run out to do something, but when I came back, I called her and she said, "I fixed it." I took a look at her website and noticed that her document was now a .pdf document. I mentally scratched my head and then asked her, "did you convert your document to a pdf or just rename it?"

"Uh... I renamed it and put .pdf at the end. Do you have convert it to a pdf?", she said.

"Only if you want it to work", I said.

The conversation got more ridiculuos from there and culminated in her saying, "the president (of the college) doesn't have to update her pages or convert documents herself. She has people who do that." So I told her that once she becomes the president, I'll update all her pages. But until then, she has to learn to do it herself.

My office had a great laugh about this after I finished talking to her on the phone.