Friday, September 30, 2005

Diary of a Mad Black Woman

There exists a part of me that most people never get to see. It is a side that only comes out when I feel like I or my family are being attacked. I feel intense rage inside the very core of my being and my only instinct is to protect my family.

Once this rage led me to beat a man with a whiffle ball bat. Another time, I picked up a teenager and moved her away from my sister. I have been known to speak before thinking and verbal defend myself and my family.

Today, one of my older sisters was verbally attacked in writing and upon hearing about it, that part of me kicked in. I was ready to protect and defend my sister. No one treats my family that way and gets away with it.

Then I thought about it. Although my rage comes from a seemingly good place, it doesn't serve me well. So I decided to handle things differently. I dealt with the offender in a different manner, one that was appropriate for the situation. That person didn't need to know how angry I was at the time because that ultimately won't solve anything. But I will take care of the situation and get it resolved quickly.